October 26, 2016

Sunflower Man



Self portrait courtesy of Go-Go-Gadget-Long-Arms. In the wild, MB; October 2016.
---

How lucky am I to have found a man who will pull over for me while out on a Sunday drive. He takes out his pocket knife and I watch him and those long legs of his saunter into the field of tall sunflowers that caught my eye in the first place. Their heads droop on his shoulder as he bends to saw a stem from its place. One, two, three, four stems. He holds up my prizes in question and I grin in affirmation. That will do, I think to myself while watching him take long strides back through the ditch, up the hill and then drop the long stalks into the truck box like it is the most natural thing in the world. While watching him, I easily imagine little children at school plucking seeds out of the giant flower heads with small tweezers. Content and proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment